Broker Check

Education Credits Can Be Claimed On An Amended Return

The IRS has announced that individuals who could have claimed the education credit but failed to do so on their original returns, may claim the credit on an amended return. In general, an amended return may be filed within three years from the date your return was filed or within two years from the time the tax was paid, whichever is later. 

This rule creates a refund opportunity for those who filed their returns without claiming an education credit that they were entitled to. If you can benefit from this rule, please call for further details.

While the tax or legal information provided is based on our understanding of current laws, and has been gathered from sources believed to be reliable, it cannot be guaranteed. Federal tax laws are complex and subject to change. This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax or legal advice and should only be relied upon when coordinated with individual professional advice. Neither FSC Securities Corporation, nor its registered representatives, provide tax or legal advice. As with all matters of a tax or legal nature, you should consult with your own tax or legal counsel for advice.