2435 North Central Expressway,
When contemplating making a significant gift, the charitably inclined are well advised to exercise some foresight. Similar gifts made in different ways will yield remarkably different results. The treatment of your gift for federal tax purposes will vary depending on the type of asset donated, the type of charitable organization receiving the gift, and your individual circumstances and overall tax status.
Gifts to charity funded with different types of assets are subject to different restrictions on deductibility. The Internal Revenue Code (IRC) generally classifies different types of property according to a four-tier system: 1) ordinary income property; 2) short-term capital gain property; 3) long-term capital gain property; and 4) tax-free property. Property is also classified as either intangible property or tangiblepersonal property.
Types of Charities
There are also deductibility limitations imposed on donations depending on the structure of the recipient charities, which fall into two general categories:
Valuation and Eligibility
Donors must categorize donations in accordance with the above classifications in order to determine the valuation of their gift for the purpose of claiming a charitable deduction. Consider the following:
Any single contribution exceeding $5,000 (except one funded with cash or publicly-traded stock) requires a qualified appraisal within 60 days of the date of gift. The donor must submit the appraisal when filing his or her taxes. All gifts of $250 or more require written acknowledgment from the recipient charity in order to claim a deduction, though it is undoubtedly prudent to obtain a receipt for gifts of any size.
The final factor affecting your ability to claim a charitable deduction pertains to limitations associated with the size of your adjusted gross income (AGI). Your deduction for gifts of cash to a public charity may not exceed 50% of AGI in any one year, while your deduction for cash gifts to a private foundation may not exceed 30% of AGI.
For gifts of both long- and short-term appreciated property, your deduction is limited to 30% of AGI for gifts to public charities and 20% of AGI for gifts to private foundations. The limitations on both cash and appreciated property work in tandem, capping total charitable deductions for any one year at 50% of AGI. Deductible amounts above these limits may be carried forward for up to five additional, consecutive tax years. Higher income donors must also be wary of restrictions on total itemized deductions, which are gradually phased out above certain levels of AGI.
There is only one conclusion that can be drawn with certainty: If you intend to make a charitable gift that you consider to be significant, the assistance and counsel of a qualified tax professional is vital to successfully navigating the murky waters of charitable tax law.
Copyright © 2017 Liberty Publishing, Inc. All Rights Reserved.CGTA3U1-AS
While the tax or legal information provided is based on our understanding of current laws, and has been gathered from sources believed to be reliable, it cannot be guaranteed. Federal tax laws are complex and subject to change. This information is not intended to be a substitute for specific individualized tax or legal advice and should only be relied upon when coordinated with individual professional advice. Neither FSC Securities Corporation, nor its registered representatives, provide tax or legal advice. As with all matters of a tax or legal nature, you should consult with your own tax or legal counsel for advice.